It’s noon, and hunger sets in. You grab a quick lunch (tacos seem to fill the bill) — but when you return you’re met with a wall of text. Conversations have gone in every which way, and it takes more time to catch up on missed conversations than it did to have lunch itself (the taco was still worth it.)
That’s why we created Actions and Decisions in Stride. Now you can isolate any message in a conversation, and mark it as an action or decision. These outcomes are saved under Highlights in your right sidebar for anyone to reference — whenever.
So instead of wading through lines and lines of text that may or may not be important, Actions and Decisions give you a bird’s eye view of the most important things that happened in the conversation.
Now you can use the time you would have spent catching up on work to actually do work. That’s what we call smart team collaboration.
But Actions and Decisions are not just for catching up — they can be used in tons of productive ways — from planning your team’s next big project to triaging issues to reminding a teammate of work to be done.
In general, actions are great for assigning and keeping track of tasks. Decisions are perfect for wrapping up longer discussions and sharing important announcements. With this toolkit at your disposal, your team is now empowered to move work forward.
How to use them
Cool, so you’re ready to make your team communication more productive. Luckily, using Actions and Decisions is super easy.
There are two ways to create them:
- Hover over a message and click the three dots to the right of it. Choose whether to make an action or decision. (Pro tip — assign people tasks by mentioning them in an action or decision.)
- Or just create one from scratch. Click the action or decision icon in your text input box, and add it to your conversation.
To see all the actions and decisions in any room or chat, just head to the Highlights tab in your right sidebar where you’ll see a full rundown.
After an action is marked as complete, a message will be posted in your room so everyone knows.
When to use them
At the end of the day, when to use Actions and Decisions is entirely at your team’s discretion. Every team is unique and there are countless ways teams can use this feature to their advantage. Here are a few ideas.
Use Actions to:
- Triage issues and assign them to teammates. Once an issue is resolved, check the box, and it will be posted in the room.
- Remind teammates of work to be done (a sort of virtual nudge).
- Scope out a big project and lay out responsibilities. As the project progresses, use decisions to share important outcomes.
Use Decisions to:
- Submit daily standup reports. View all your teammates’ reports in the Highlights tab anytime.
- Give resolution to an important discussion or debate. Share the decision in the room so everyone knows the outcome.
- Create end-of-day summaries. If you’re a team lead, give a summary of what was accomplished that day (or week) and what’s coming next.
We’d love to hear how your team is using Actions and Decisions! Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter. Until next time — happy collaborating!